Thursday, December 20, 2007

Funny Phobias

I can't help feeling a bit skeptical as to whether people really suffer from phobias like these. It sounds like somebody just went through the dictionary, found the latin names for loads of words and stuck 'phobia' on the end. Having said that, I'm sure these fears are very real to some people and I feel very sorry for people with phobias like these:
  • Aerophobia - Fear of swallowing air
  • Cibophobia - Fear of food
  • Ophthalmophobia - Fear of opening one's eyes

But some of these are quite amusing:
  • Pogonophobia - Fear of beards
  • Cnidophobia - Fear of string
  • Helmintophobia - Fear of being infested with worms
  • Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - Fear of long words
  • Paraskavedekatriaphobia - Fear of Friday the 13th
  • Lachanophobia - Fear of vegetables
  • Rhytiphobia - Fear of getting wrinkles
  • Peladophobia - Fear of bald people

And finally my favourite.....
  • Arachibutyrophobia - Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth

1 comment:

Leo said...

LOL Dude, that was HILARIOUS!!!

I think I definitely have to say that people will and do come up with the most random things, and all I can say back is HAHAHAHAA!!

Love, Leo xx