Monday, April 07, 2008

This Day in History: April 7th

Today is an important day for more reason than one. Listed below are several things that happened, this day in history.

1. Many scholars believe that Jesus was crucified on April 7th.

2. This day, 1506, Saint Francis Xavier was born.

3. April 7th, 1770, English poet William Wordsworth was born.

4. This day in 1795, France adopted the metre as the basic measure of length.

5. 1805: The first public performance of Beethoven's 3rd symphony, Eroica, took place in Vienna, Austria.

6. In 1827, matches went on sale for the first time. They were produced by John Walker, England.

7. April 7th, 1860, Will Keith Kellog, American cereal manufacturer was born.

8. This day in 1906, the Italian volcano Vesuvius erupted.

9. This day in history, 1926, Mussolini's Irish wife broke his nose.

10. 1948, the World Health Organisation (WHO) was established.

11. Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific opened on Broadway, this day 1949.


You know, I find it quite intriguing looking up things like this :) Number 9 is my favourite!

2 comments:

Leo said...

GREAT!!

I love it.. I agree with number 9... lol!

I think you should definitely find some more of those!!! x

Bethany said...

I think number 9 is my favourite as well.