Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sudoku on Trial

This tickled me......

Sudoko-playing Jurors Halt Trial

Haha!

However, I am amazed that the jurors didn't take their duties more seriously than that; it does make me wonder how fair trial by jury is. Not that I'm suggesting for a moment that it's scrapped. But these people so often come into a trial with no knowledge of the situation, no interest in it and probably no real understanding of the evidence they are presented with. This particular case took place in Australia but I would imagine circumstances in the UK are pretty similar.

From what I understand, jury selection in the UK is random. Perhaps more careful thought should go into their selection....I don't know how that would work though. Maybe some kind of criteria could be drawn up for potential jurors. Maybe?

On second thoughts...I think I'll leave the jury selection process to those more qualified. It's so easy to sit at home and put the world to rights: I do it frequently. But, in reality, nothing is EVER as straightforward as it appears.

No comments: