Friday, January 30, 2009

Journey to Heaven


I recently watched the film Pilgrim's Progress: Journey to Heaven, based on John Bunyan's classic.

This particular version was produced in the USA by DRC Films.

I have to confess, I wasn't expecting too much because I've seen another version of the movie which was quite dire. Plus, it's not easy to capture the entire story and its meanings in a film.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by this production. Although (not surprisingly) it doesn't include details of everything Christian goes through, it is faithful to the original story and the gospel message is presented very clearly.

The film is set in a typical, modern-day US town and the story is brought up to date in terms of things such as clothing, language and the characters' lifestyles. Normally, I don't think I'd be too happy that the producers had taken such a liberty. But in this case the modernisation works very well and I think helps to show that the story and its message is relevant to 21st century viewers. In fact, I think this dvd could be used as a good witnessing tool.

In terms of the acting and general quality of the filming, I thought it was very good. There are some beautiful scenic shots and great special effects. The actors are superb and very 'believable'.

All in all, it's an excellent film and one that I'd highly recommend.

You can find out more by visiting the website

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Christian have a gun instead of a sword?

Suzanne said...

No, that's actually one thing that hasn't been modernised. I think most things that have significance or some spiritual meaning attached to them are left the same as the book. Now I'm trying to think of some other examples....

Jaky Astik said...

I have nominated to "I love you blog". go to my blog and read for yourself.

melanie said...

excellent...I will check it out..