Monday, March 30, 2009

Fun with Paper

This is so much fun! We spent a couple of hours in college just playing about with paper and a craft knife, seeing what different shapes and cuts on the paper we could come up with. I photographed the first two of these sets in the photography studio in college and the others when I got home....you can probably tell the difference! It was difficult trying to get the lighting right and eliminate all the background mess in by bedroom....


Before you ask, this next one is a horse standing next to a jump. I know it looks like an oversized dog with a teacloth hanging over its back but it isn't.



I intended this to look like a sword sticking out of the ground but I didn't get the shape quite right. It was actually quite tricky to make a straight line with my knife and by this time it was a little blunt. I know, sounds like excuses ;)


Church, trees and a graveyard. Someone wanted to know why there were palm trees in the middle of a churchyard and I guess the answer must be that it's in some hot country.


I'd love to experiment further with a good craft knife and different weights of paper. I'm told there's websites dedicated to this kind of artwork so I'll have to look them up and link to them.

But hey, get yourself a craft knife and plenty of paper and start creating!

6 comments:

~Tori~ said...

Those are SO awesome!

jakyas said...

I love playing like this. Can do one more thing. Stick different color papers and then create accordingly. Like, green for trees and etc.

Under Southern Skies said...

That is really neat! Is it very hard to do?

simpleman said...

that is sooo cool. The very first pic is my favourite. The lighting and back just make it look freakin awesome

Suzanne said...

it's very simple to do! All you have to do is cut out shapes and stand them up to create a 3D scene :)

Antonia said...

It's awesome.
You can do so many things with paper.
And I like the pics.