Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Book Autopsies

I have spent most of today revamping an old book. Some may call it massacring but I prefer to think I'm improving it...

Our assignment was to take an old book and use it to convey a message. This can (and has) involved cutting into it, pasting things in and colouring pages of the book. Some students objected to this defacing and, to some extent, I can see where they're coming from. There's no way I'd take one of my books and start pulling pages out or liberally apply marker pen through it. But, when it's an old trashy book which probably wouldn't do anybody much good anyway....and when it's on sale in the charity shop for 50p...I don't really have any objection! After all, it's only paper and ink that's going to decay someday anyway. But hey, I'd be interested to hear any different opinions?

Anyway, as I was doing a bit of research for this project, I came across an artist called Brian Dettmer. This guy performs 'autopsies' on books and, wow, some of the stuff he has created is totally awesome!





I found these photos here. Check the website out for more book autopsies. Also, a quick google image search of 'Brian Dettmer' will reveal more fascinating creations!

2 comments:

Antonia said...

It looks great, but...poor books! ;)

MoonShaw said...

Wow, that would be an interesting thing to try. Let us see what you've done when you're finished!