Thursday, May 14, 2009

Holidays & Discipline


I've been looking forward to the summer holidays for ages but, now they've come, I'm kinda wishing they hadn't. The problem is, I think holidays can make you (or me) lazy. It's all very well having a break and a rest but, personally, I find it throws me out of the routine and good habits I've developed the rest of the year.

When I was in college I was up early, had my quiet time, showered, ate breakfast, made my lunch and left the house by 8am. Now, I'm barely up by 8! Then it's easy to skip the quiet time, mess around on the internet and perhaps eventually eat some breakfast by mid-morning.

I made myself marginally more useful this morning by doing the washing up and cooking the lunch. But now it's all done, I'm back on the internet messing round...just not feeling bothered to do anything else. It's not that I don't have things to do; I'm just not motivated to do them. Someone tell me why I can't get back into a routine again??

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne,

I can totally understand what you mean. I also hate having long holidays for the same reason. If you figure out how to become motivated and achieve things, please let me know. Hope you enjoy the rest of your holidays a bit more.

Love Tegan
(Bethany Roberts' sister)

Neil said...

Know the feeling! Welcome to the world of (?) work at home

Elizabeth J. said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog- I appreciate it. Maybe you could think about doing some volunteer work this summer or babysitting for a mom who is busy with young children. Those are just suggestions by the way.=)

Suzanne said...

Thanks for commenting Tegan :) I'll definitely let you know if I come up with a solution!

Thanks for the suggestions Elizabeth! They're definitely things I could consider.

Alex said...

I know what you mean about getting lazy over the summer. I have such a hard time getting my quiet time in, simply because I don't feel like it. It's as if my whole routine and schedule kept me going during the school year, and I totally fall apart during those three months. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has trouble getting simple things done during that time!

MoonShaw said...

Aye, that happens to me too! I am looking so much forward to the summer holidays, but I'm sure that when they finally arrive I'll be dead lazy. I guess that when you DON'T HAVE TO DO something, you just say, oh, I'll do it later... and like this all the time. Hopefully, it won't happen this summer... =S