Friday, May 15, 2009

A taste of North Wales

A few evenings ago, a friend and I decided to take a drive around our local area and visit some of the nearby beauty spots. Actually....it was supposed to be a walk but we spent most of the time in the car! The first place we visited was Flint Castle. The castle dates from the 13th century and today lies in ruins. But it's still a lovely place to visit, particularly because you can see fantastic views over the adjoining estuary.





Next stop was Talacre Beach. I couldn't figure out why all my photos of the lighthouse looked crooked but I have since learned that it has probably sunk into the sand on one side. The lighthouse is no longer in use but it looks fabulous - until you get too close and see the rotting wood and flaking paint!





Finally, we drove over to a tiny, picturesque village on top of Prestatyn mountain called Gwaenysgor. From a viewpoint there, we could look right over the estuary and towns below. Wow! If you've never been and you live locally, you'll have to drive over someday and check it out. I hadn't realised the village even existed and I was utterly speechless when we drove over the top of the hill and saw the wonderful views appear below us.




6 comments:

Antonia said...

Wow, it's so beautiful.
I think I should visit Great Britain again. there are so many things I want to see.

Rachael said...

Beautiful pictures, Suzanne! You're so luckly to live around such wonderful scenic shots!

Alex said...

Beautiful! I've never been to Great Britain, but it's always been a dream of mine. Maybe some day...

Elizabeth J. said...

Amazing! I have never been to Wales but would love to visit someday especially since my ancestors were from Wales.:)

VS Photography said...

Wow so beautiful!

MoonShaw said...

Aw, I miss the British Isles... :(
Thanks for the pics, it makes me want to go back! :D