Wednesday, June 17, 2009

We're in this together!

I've decided that my blog needs a revamp. Not a visual revamp - you see them often enough! No, what I have in mind is more of a content revamp; that is, I want to change ever so slightly the way I conduct this blog.

I'm going let you in to a little secret. I began blogging after being persuaded to do so by a friend and, at first, I didn't particularly enjoy it. I thought, "Yikes, what in the world do I have to say?" Blogging was a bit of a chore...."Guess I'd better find something to blog about today" - that sort of feeling, know what I mean? But, you know what? Today I love it! I'm so glad I was introduced to the blogging world! Blogging is such a wonderful outlet for expressing your feelings, opinions, beliefs, and a great way to share stories and tales about your life to people all over the world.

That's part 1 of my blogging story. I think I'm about to start part 2....

I've been thinking quite a bit recently about my blog and really about blogging generally. I have come to the conclusion that I want my (and hopefully your!) blogging experience to be a more of a collaborative affair. I mean, I don't want to just sit here and tell you what I'm doing and thinking and feeling; I want to know your responses. This doesn't mean I don't think I get enough comments by the way! I love reading your blogs and finding out about your lives and experiences and, in that way, I do find out about you. But, that's not quite the same kind of interaction that I have in mind. What I'm really thinking of is a situation whereby everyone gets to share and discuss and contribute. I want this to be our blog, not just mine! Now, I don't know whether this is just a strange, idealistic vision of mine....quite possibly it is. We shall see soon enough!

Strangely, I read an interesting blog entry yesterday about whether or not Christians should blog. I say strange because I came across it quite accidentally and somehow it tied in with my ponderings. Sorry, I have no idea what the url is so I can't link to it. But the point the author was making was that it's tempting for us to use our blog to promote ourselves; I'll tell people what I like, what I want, what I did yesterday, even what things I am experiencing in my Christian life. Now, I'm not for a moment suggesting that there's anything wrong with sharing these things and I know they are often a great blessing to other believers. But, I guess it kinda confirmed my recent thoughts and encouraged me to try out this new idea.

So, I'm in the process of figuring out ways I can get you all to interact and share with me and each other....better be careful when you read my blog in future. It will require you to take action in some way or another! And lurkers be warned - I'll get you all out of hiding!

But that's enough from me. Your thoughts, please! Tell me if you think this is going to work or if it's just a vague, crazy idea??

4 comments:

Neil said...

Intersting idea, but not entirely sure that a blog is the easiest medium in which to do it. How can people contribute other than through comments? Some plug-ins allow other types of interaction I think, but they may not be supported by Blogger.

Bethany said...

Sounds really good. I can't wait to see what you have in mind.

MoonShaw said...

Why, I think it's a great idea! To be able to share and read other's opinions is something that I think very good because then you may find great ideas and helpful points of view which may be different from yours but also great! So yes, I think it's wonderful.

Antonia said...

I love your idea!
It's an interesting thing and I can't wait being an interactiv person on your blog. ;)

Antonia

I'll answer your e-mail at the weekend. I'm a little bit busy at the moment...