Monday, June 22, 2009

When I survey

What's your favourite hymn? Comment and let me know!

I have several favourites - it's so hard to choose the best one! But the one below has been high on the list for years: When I survey the Wondrous Cross' by Isaac Watts. I always find the words so challenging...

'My richest gain I count but loss' - is that really true of me?
'All the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to His blood' - do I?

I found this video on youtube so I hope you enjoy it. You can't beat a Welsh male voice choir! Although this one actually is only half-Welsh...




When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

His dying crimson, like a robe,
Spreads o’er His body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were an offering far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

5 comments:

Ben Lowery said...

Best Hymn/Psalm: Psalm 130, Scottish Psalter 1650, Tune: Martyrdom.

These words so accurately express the experience of the believer.

1 Lord, from the depths to thee I cry'd.
2 My voice, Lord, do thou hear:
Unto my supplication's voice
give an attentive ear.

3 Lord, who shall stand, if thou, O Lord,
should'st mark iniquity?
4 But yet with thee forgiveness is,
that feared thou mayest be.

5 I wait for God, my soul doth wait,
my hope is in his word.
6 More than they that for morning watch,
my soul waits for the Lord;

I say, more than they that do watch
the morning light to see.
7 Let Israel hope in the Lord,
for with him mercies be;

And plenteous redemption
is ever found with him.
8 And from all his iniquities
he Isr'el shall redeem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yETRxtYIL-E&feature=related

MoonShaw said...

I don't really know either, but the ones I enjoy most singing are Emmanuel and Canta Aleluya al SeƱor - this one is Spanish.

Olivia said...

Come Thou Fount is my absolute favorite hymn. After hearing the music for it on Janet Oake's Love Comes Softly movie, I've loved it ever since.

BTW. Thanks for you comment on my blog!

Bethany said...

I didn't comment at first because no particular hymn came to my mind. I like so many, but I'll try to pick a few. How about "Man of Sorrows," "It Is Well With My Soul," and "Be Thou My Vision."

BTW on a totally different subject. I hope you are enjoying Wimbledon. I am getting up at 11:00tonight to watch the Aussies play.

Alex Lowery said...

I have quite a few favourite hymns. I quite like Psalm 23. The Lord's my Shepered. I also like I hear thy welcome voice.