Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Take this rule

I know I'm not supposed to be blogging at the moment but I just HAD to share this quote with you. A friend shared it with me earlier today and it really struck me quite forcibly. There are so many things in my life which I would classify as neutral things - things which I don't consider to be actually sinful and which I do for perhaps enjoyment and pleasure.

It never occurred to me to treat them in this way:
"Take this rule: whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, or takes off the relish of spiritual things; in short, whatever increases the strength and authority of your body over mind, that thing is sin to you, however innocent it may be in itself."

Susanna Wesley


I guess there is nothing in our lives which has a neutral effect on us. Or which has no effect on us. We are constantly being moulded by the things which we permit to be a part of our lives. Wow, this is triggering off a whole series of thoughts in my mind! I'm tempted to talk further about the effects which some seemingly innocent activities could have on our spiritual life. But... I'm sure you're perfectly capable of drawing your own conclusions.

Anyway, that's enough from me; I'm not really here. But tell me your thoughts, please!

3 comments:

MoonShaw said...

I'm so thankful you posted this post even though you weren't... (;]) I get the idea... and it has helped me! Thank you. With summer coming up and having so much free time... and so many things to do...

DJ said...

Wow! I'm glad you put that quote on your site. Have a great day.
Deb

Brenda Leyland said...

Strong quote. Good thing you blogged anyway (smile)..... thank you so much for sharing it with us.

I haven't been for a long while -- I've visited before. Glad I stopped by this evening.