Tuesday, June 29, 2010

John Bunyan

Well, I'm still alive!

I have recently read a biography of John Bunyan by Kevin Belmonte, sent to me by booksneeze.com.


Having read ‘Pilgrim’s Progress’ and ‘The Holy War’, I was interested to learn more about the man behind these great works. And, from a historical point of view, Kevin Belmonte’s book did a great job of informing me. The narrative explores in depth Bunyan’s early years and influences; it also gives us a real taste of Bedford and England in the 17th Century. Some of the insights into Bunyan’s life are truly fascinating and help me to appreciate the kind of man he was.

However, from a spiritual point of view, I felt this book was a little disappointing. While the author does relate Bunyan’s conversion experience and describe some of his spiritual struggles, I do think that a bigger emphasis could have been placed on this aspect of Bunyan’s life.

So, for a good, solid overview of John Bunyan’s life, I would recommend this book. However, if you want to know more about Bunyan’s spiritual growth, battles and triumphs, I suggest you read his autobiography, ‘Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners’.

3 comments:

Antonia said...

You're back! That's cool! :)

I have never heard about John Bunyan...

Bethany said...

Thanks for telling us about Booksneeze. I have had a look and am going to sign up.

Suzanne said...

I'm back but I don't know how long it'll last. So don't hold your breath ;)

Bethany, hope you enjoy booksneeze! Not all of the books look particularly good but some do.