Wednesday, December 01, 2010

The Jesus You Can't Ignore

I recently read the book "The Jesus You Can't Ignore" by John MacArthur. This is the fourth book of his I've read (though I haven't finished one of the others yet). I like his logical, no messing approach but I can't say I always find his books the easiest to read. I think that's possibly because he's so comprehensive and goes into great detail when making his points. That's good. But sometimes makes his books a little tedious. At least, that's what I find.

In terms of the message MacArthur is communicating, this book is spot on. The question `What would Jesus do?' is a popular one but, all too often, the Jesus we conjure up in our minds bears little resemblance to the real Jesus. In `The Jesus You Can't Ignore', John MacArthur gives a startling but accurate description of the Jesus of the Bible. No longer do we see a placid, mild man who goes about giving moral teaching, speaking amicably to all he meets; instead, the author demonstrates that the real Jesus was one who not only refused to avoid doctrinal conflict but actually instigated it. Jesus did all in His power to refute the false teaching of the day and publicly renounced the men who were responsible for propagating it. This formed a significant part of his teaching and ministry.

The implications are clear: we too are in a truth war and we too should be intolerant of error which creeps into our churches. Although we should not seek conflict for conflict's sake, we must not be afraid to do as Jesus did and stand up for the Truth.

My only slight criticism would be that I found the author beginning to be a little repetitive as I went through the book; I feel he could have covered the same ground in a smaller volume. On the other hand, it's good that MacArthur tackles the subject so comprehensively as he demonstrates that this powerful image of Jesus can be seen throughout all the gospels.

2 comments:

Amber Noella said...

How funny, I am currently reading this! I know what you mean about it being sorta hard to read or understand, but I do like it. I'm only on chapter 4, though! =)

Suzanne said...

Cool, you'll have to let me know what you think when you've finished! :)