Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Benjamin Franklin

I've just finished reading the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. Generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of biographical books, but I have to make an exception in this case.

This is a fascinating account of a man who grew up in a relatively poor family, received very little formal education, and yet, in spite of this, bettered himself to a point where he made HUGE contributions to society, government and science.

Not only is the story itself engrossing, but, the way Franklin writes is in itself an education. Sprinkled throughout the book are little gems of wisdom, as he points out areas where he made mistakes, or gives words of advice about dealing with people. Though not a Christian (he professes to be a Deist) this man was endowed with exceptional wisdom and there's certainly plenty to learn from his writing and his experiences.

As well as recounting Franklin's life, the book gives a remarkable insight into colonial America - something which I knew very little about before I read this.

I have to say I did find the language a little hard to follow at times, but overall the book was difficult to put down!

So, my verdict? A truly inspiring story, and definitely worth a read! And, here's a tip, you can download for free and read on your Kindle.

No comments: