Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Marcus Aurelius on Facebook


I'm currently struggling my way through Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, which is a collection of his private notes and musings on stoic philosophy.

Quite frankly, I'm finding it pretty hard going. I think this is mainly because of the language, which is very archaic. Maybe I should have looked for a more modern translation!

But, in spite of the language barrier, I have found a few real gems of wisdom in his writings (I'm sure there are many more, but I just haven't figured them out!)

Here's one I read this morning:
“How much time and leisure doth he gain, who is not curious to know what his neighbour hath said, or hath done, or hath attempted, but only what he doth himself, that it may be just and holy?”

It made me think (guiltily) of the minutes, sometimes hours even, I can spend in a day just flicking through profiles and photos on Facebook. I know it's not all to do with curiosity (idleness definitely also plays a part), but we are such nosy creatures by nature, aren't we?

Is this really a good use of my time?

In his letter to the Ephesian Christians (Ephesians 5:15-16), Paul exhorts them:
“Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.”
Other translations talk about ‘redeeming the time’, rescuing our time from waste and using it for God’s will and purposes.

The Bible frequently refers to life as a breath, or a vapour - something which lasts for just a brief moment and then vanishes. How can we use these short, few days we have to advance God's kingdom and make our lives count? When we give an account of our lives before God, what will we tell Him when He asks how we spent this short, precious time he gave us?


Image courtesy of Wikipedia

1 comment:

Caitlin Narwold said...

You've been nominated on my blog for the Awesome Food Award! Go check it out!
http://daughterofdestiny-generation78.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-awesome-food-award.html
Caitlin